[JW Lua] Group Scripts, Finale 2014 and such things

Paul W. Palm paul_w_palm at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 00:26:11 CET 2013

I'm back from a 3-week trip, ready to resume my Finale work.  I will continue to use Finale 2012 until I finish the edition I'm currently typesetting.  For my next edition, I'm looking forward to cutting my effort by 90+% using Finale 2014's 'Anchored Hairpins and Measure-Attached Smartshapes' and (hopefully) JWLua's 'Group Scripts' for unifying crescendos, decrescendos, and dynamics.

Jari Williamsson> …the primary focus is currently aimed towards script developers and improving the general JW Lua environment.

I appreciate that, but please understand how important and lacking Finale is in this aspect.  Imagine a score with hundreds of cresc. & decresc., all needing a uniform distance below each staff, all needing uniform beginnings and endings (relative to a prior and/or subsequent dynamic), all unwantedly changing with each layout update.  I am not exaggerating when I say that this consumes ~95% of my time when producing a score.

Jari Williamsson> I will probably put some scripts on the tips site before the repository is in place.

Has this happened?  Where are they?  The scripts demoed on YouTube are:

dynamics_horizpos.lua
artic_slurs.lua (needs ability to select a gap other than 7 EPVUs, like 4.5 points)
dynamics_artics.lua (needs ability to select a gap other than 7 EPVUs,…)
dynamics_hairpins.lua (needs ability to select a gap other than 10 EPVUs,…)
barenreiter_hairpinends.lua
vcenter_dynamics_hairpins.lua

Note that in the YouTube 'Group Scripts' demo video, the script makes a decrescendo end too close to its following 'mp' relative to the proximity of the other cresc/decresc and their adjoining dynamics.

Jari Williamsson> The scripts in the demo need some more testing before they can be published to end users.

How about making them available to someone who can/will test, debug, and improve them?  You want more JW Lua users and script authors, right?  This will make me one.