[JW Lua] Multi-byte characters

Jari Williamsson jari.williamsson at mailbox.swipnet.se
Mon Aug 4 15:32:01 CEST 2014

Bart,

You can do the character replacements to a FCString directly in JW Lua,
using the FCString:SetItemAt() method and using the Unicode numbers.
Please note that the string position is 0-based.

Run the code sample below on a default Finale document on Finale 2012 or
later. It should put "Tëst" at the place where the title page text was.

Since U+00EB is the standard Unicode number for "ë", 0x00EB or 0xEB
would be the hexadecimal representation of that Unicode character to use
for FCString:SetItemAt(). (In Lua, 0x is the prefix for hexadecimal
numbers.)

---
local s = finale.FCString()
s.LuaString = "Test"
s:SetItemAt(1, 0x00EB) -- Change second character in string
s:Insert("^font(Times New Roman)^size(16)^nfx(0)", 0)
local pt = finale.FCPageText()
pt:Load(1, 0) -- Load first page text object on page 1
pt:SaveTextString(s) -- Save the new text for that block
---