[JW Lua] Adding MIDI controller messages / Calculating expression width

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Tue Jan 14 14:22:03 CET 2014

> On 2014-01-13 18:14, Jan Angermüller wrote:
>> In the framework reference I found:
>> http://www.finaletips.nu/frameworkref/class_f_c_midi_expression.html
>> Probably it works with this.
>
> You're right that the FCMidiExpression class would be the way to go.
> (It would give you access to and create the "Continous Data", found in
> Finale's MIDI Tool.)
>
> Unfortunatelly, that class isn't JW Lua-supported yet. It'll be
> available in the next beta.
That would be great !

Another question came up:
Is it possible to calculate the width of a text expression to improve
the placing of the expression ?
Something like |GetTextExtentPoint32| on Windows.
For example to calculate from the width of a measure and the width of
the expression
the best placement ? When I look at the code of your dynamics_horizpos.lua,
it seems like you hard-coded the positions (i.e. the widths) manually.
If this is not a function of the Finale PDK, maybe that would be a
helpful function
that JW Lua could provide ?

After having coded just two days now with JW Lua I am really very impressed.
That makes plugin development at least for experienced software
developers reeeeeeally easy.
Thank you very much, Jari !

Have a nice day,
Jan Angermueller