[JW Lua] 'attempt to index' error

Charles O. Lawrence charlesolawrence at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 29 16:41:59 CET 2014

Bruce,

Just my 2 cents.  I have not studied your code to see what you are actually
trying to do, but at first glance, it seems to me that you need to
define/initialize your local PageTextTable outside and before the scope of
the for loops and remove any local references on the PageTextTable within
blocks, such as if-then blocks.  As it is now, you lose any definition of
PageTextTable once you leave the scope of the block.

local PageTextTable = {}

for pt in loadall(finale.FCPageTexts()) do
.
.
.

As I said, I'm not sure if this is what you intended, but then you can
PageTextTable[1] = PageTextLinks[1]
and not get the error.
Where is index [2] in all those scenarios?

Also if the intent is to copy one table to another with this statement later
on,
PageTextTable = PageTextLinks[k]
it won't work.  Lua does not provide for a table copy, you have to program a
table copy with loops.

Someone better in Lua that me will have to jump in now.  Good luck.  Keep us
posted with your results.