[JW Lua] flip accidentals in selected regions

Joseph Weidinger jsphweid at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 23:40:01 CEST 2015

Thanks. Of course that opened up a bunch of other problems with my script
but I managed to figure them out eventually without asking more questions
(it was tough to restrain myself...). Here's the completed script. I think
it works quite well! Let me know if anyone finds any more bugs. I'm also
trying to find a better name. "Flip accidentals" might imply literally
flipping the sign upside. So now I have "flip accidentals enharmonically"
but I still think it is not ideal. Let me know if you have a better idea
for a name...! Code below, cheers, thanks again Jari.

function plugindef()
    finaleplugin.Author = "Joseph Weidinger"
    finaleplugin.Version = "1.0"
    finaleplugin.Date = "July 08, 2015"
    finaleplugin.RequireSelection = true
    finaleplugin.CategoryTags = "flip, accidental, enharmonic"
    return "Flip Accidentals Enharmonically", "Flip Accidentals
Enharmonically", "Toggles sharps to flats or flats to sharps in selected
region."
end

-- table for checking whether note has accidental
isAccidentalTbl = {'A#', 'B#', 'C#', 'D#', 'E#', 'F#', 'G#', 'Cb', 'Fb',
'Bb', 'Db', 'Eb', 'Gb', 'Ab'}

-- conversion tables
tblOne = {'A#', 'B#', 'C#', 'D#', 'E#', 'F#',
            'G#', 'Fb', 'Bb', 'Db', 'Eb', 'Gb',
            'Ab', 'E',
            'B0', 'B1', 'B2', 'B3', -- to handle the break in octave
tranpositions
            'B4', 'B5', 'B6', 'B7', 'B8', 'B9',
            'B10', 'B11', 'B12', 'B13', 'Cb1', 'Cb2',
            'Cb3', 'Cb4', 'Cb5', 'Cb6', 'Cb7', 'Cb8',
            'Cb9', 'Cb10', 'Cb11', 'Cb12', 'Cb13', 'Cb14'}
tblTwo = {'Bb', 'C', 'Db', 'Eb', 'F', 'Gb',
           'Ab', 'E', 'A#', 'C#', 'D#', 'F#',
           'G#', 'Fb',
           'Cb1', 'Cb2', 'Cb3', 'Cb4', -- to handle the break in octave
tranpositions
           'Cb5', 'Cb6', 'Cb7', 'Cb8', 'Cb9', 'Cb10',
           'Cb11', 'Cb12', 'Cb13', 'Cb14', 'B0', 'B1',
           'B2', 'B3', 'B4', 'B5', 'B6', 'B7',
           'B8', 'B9', 'B10', 'B11', 'B12', 'B13'}

-- establish the containers
local pitchString = finale.FCString()
local soundingPitchString = finale.FCString()

-- check whether 'display in concert pitch' is checked or not so that
-- one can always flip what they see and not be limited to what it's
written pitch is
local partscopeprefs = finale.FCPartScopePrefs()
partscopeprefs:Load(1)

if partscopeprefs.DisplayInConcertPitch then
    for entry in eachentrysaved(finenv.Region()) do
        if entry:IsNote() then
            for note in each(entry) do
                note:GetString(soundingPitchString, nil, false, false)
                for k, v in ipairs(isAccidentalTbl) do
                    if soundingPitchString:ContainsLuaString(v, nil) then
                        for k1, v1 in ipairs(tblOne) do
                            if soundingPitchString:ContainsLuaString(v1,
nil) then
                                soundingPitchString:Replace(tblOne[k1],
tblTwo[k1])
                                note:SetString(soundingPitchString, nil,
false, false)
                                entry.CheckAccidentals = true
                                break
                        break
else
    for entry in eachentrysaved(finenv.Region()) do
        if entry:IsNote() then
            for note in each(entry) do
                note:GetString(pitchString, nil, false, true)
                note:GetString(soundingPitchString, nil, false, false)
                for k, v in ipairs(isAccidentalTbl) do
                    if pitchString:ContainsLuaString(v, nil) then
                        for k1, v1 in ipairs(tblOne) do
                            if soundingPitchString:ContainsLuaString(v1,
nil) then
                                soundingPitchString:Replace(tblOne[k1],
tblTwo[k1])
                                note:SetString(soundingPitchString, nil,
false, false)
                                entry.CheckAccidentals = true
                                break
                        break