[JW Lua] JW Lua beta v0.40 available

Thomas Weber thomas.weber at notengrafik.com
Fri Oct 16 10:25:28 CEST 2015

Am 16.10.2015 um 08:39 schrieb Jari Williamsson:
> On 2015-10-15 18:59, Thomas Weber wrote:
>
>> I'm responding privately because I have a question which I'm not sure
>> would be appropriate for the mailing list.  Recent emails have given
>> us hope we might get access to MakeMusic's plugin development kit.
> > In case we'd eventually get the PDK, how is your opinion about
>> letting another party contribute to this great tool that JWLua is?
>> In case you are interested, how could such a contribution look like?
>
> I would have no problem with putting JW Lua as open source. It's a project that is based on lots of open source products anyway.
>
> However, I'm currently unsure on how I would handle the PDK Framework (which is the foundation of JW Lua and all my other plug-ins). PDK Framework goes through much more internal refactoring and redesign than JW Lua, but I still need it to work with all my projects.

I am in no way suggesting to open source JWLua as I understand it has proprietary components that can't be open sourced.  My question was, given a party would be granted access to the PDK by MakeMusic, would they be able to act as a contributor - in case I wasn't clear enough.

You're probably aware that platforms such as Bitbucket or GitLab offer private repositories where you would only give authorized parties access.  Read access would be sufficient because contributions can be made in the form of pull requests that you can accept or reject, so you'd always retain control over your code.  Some platforms offer public bug trackers for restricted repositories as well, which might be a useful feature.

Thomas Weber