[JW Lua] Slur metrics returns wrong values - revisited

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Thu Feb 23 12:33:03 CET 2017

I have done a bit more research on the "Slur Tips Avoid Staff Lines"
issue and can confirm that "CalcLeft/RightEntryMetricsPos" always
returns the value that will be printed to PDF/printer.
But: that value may differ from what is visible on the screen.
If the slur touches the top or bottom staff line, the visual result and
the calculated values can be different.
If the slur touches an inner staff line, the visual resuls and the value
were always identical (at least in my research).
The visual appearance is also dependent on the current zoom selection!
With some zoom factors the staff line collision is avoided, with some it
isn't. There is probably a rounding problem somewhere.

Or in other words: I may see a collision for example between a slur and
expression on screen, but it will print fine without collision.

I have also contacted MM on that issue, but their answer was neither
really helpful, nor really reproduceable - the screenshots they sent
looked different on my system. And even an identical slur sometimes
touches the stafflines and sometimes doesn't (see my attached screenshot).

MM wrote:
"Tips Avoid Staff Lines workings in a contextual sense. It depends on
how many notes are under the slur and where the slur falls on the page.
It will not work on every instance of every slur due to how each slur is
created.
Wide slurs will be more responsive to the avoid staff lines option,
small slurs won't be.
It sounds like this feature is not described well in the manual, and
also may not be working the best."

Not very satisfying, but at least the printed result is fine.

Jan