[JW Lua] Killer measure - why does it take 25 seconds to calculate the cellmetrics of this single measure in the default document?

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Tue Aug 27 12:28:51 CEST 2019

Jari et al.,

a client sent me a Finale document that caused my Perfect Layout plug-in
to collapse ... or better: to calculate for hours.
After analyzing we found out that Finale seems to dislike a single
measure (see attached document).
I copied the measure from the document into the default document and
still the same calculation hanging occured.

The reasons seems to be an end note of a glissando smart shape that uses
a notehead mod (FCNoteheadMod) with a notehead font set to hidden
("Maestro" with hidden style).
When I run this simple script on the attached one measure document, it
took 25 seconds on my 3,3 GHz PC.

local cell=finale.FCCell(1,1)
local cellmetrics=finale.FCCellMetrics()
cellmetrics:LoadAtCell(cell)

When I uncheck the "hidden" style in the note head mod font, the
calculation is fine again and it only takes milliseconds.
I don't know if this is a JW Lua or a Finale PDK bug.

I have added a workaround to my script now that first searches for all
glissandos and changes the notehead mod on start/end notes of a
glissando temporarily to a "not hidden" font. But that's not the finest
solution (and takes quite some time on a huge score)... though it
currently seems to work.