[JW Lua] Hairpins

Martin Marris mmarris at notecraft.com
Thu Dec 24 01:12:43 CET 2020

I've been trying to adjust the right end-point of hairpins. In the source
Finale material I am working with, these routinely collide with or cross the
group barlines in conductor scores, but I want them to stop a bit before the
barline (this issue gets even more exaggerated if the file is brought into
another environment via MusicXML).

>From Google searches it seems like this is a known issue for Finale users,
with all sorts of manual and semi-automated solutions. Indeed if I create a
totally vanilla Finale document without using any special settings, that is
exactly the behavior that I get when placing a slur. If you create a hairpin
that spans a measure, it snaps to end exactly on the group barline.

There is a sample script on the JW Lua website that loads FCSmartshape
objects, filters for hairpins, and changes the hairpin opening size by
changing the FCSmartShapeCtrlPointAdjust setting for ControlPoint1OffsetY.

So far, so good. But when I try to change the "X" horizontal settings,
nothing happens. I am beginning to think that these "control point adjust"
settings have nothing to do with what I am trying to achieve, namely
changing the X-offset (relative to the beat, or relative to the measure) of
the SmartShape object.

Martin