[JW Lua] Explosion Of Multi-Voice Staves

Martin Marris mmarris at notecraft.com
Sun Dec 27 00:15:21 CET 2020

In this very large "score explosion" project, I am finally getting into some
less elementary conductor scores where, for the first time, divisi staves
with multiple instruments use not just a "chordal" structure but also, in
some sections, Layer 1/Layer 2.

So I need to familiarize myself with the treatment of Layers in JW Lua. I
have a lot of experience of this sort of thing on the Sibelius/ManuScript
side, and know that these issues are knotty, to put it mildly.

Until now, when "exploding" the staves I have used scripts similar to what
Nick Mazuk has posted on Github, stripping out either the top or the bottom
notes in a chord. But with multiple layers, it is a whole new ball game.

Before I plunge in, I want to make sure I do not reinvent the wheel. There
are various solutions available in plugins that either ship with Finale or
in JW and TGTools, but I am looking for something I can script in JW Lua.
Does anyone know of code posted anywhere that will do this kind of thing, or
at least give me a starting point for my own efforts?

(The trickiest cases in Sibelius are the ones where a single measure in a
divisi staff has a mixture of the two notation styles: chordal, and layer.)

Thanks!

Martin