[JW Lua] LuaJIT - a much faster Lua interpreter/compiler

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Wed Jan 8 12:27:53 CET 2020

Hello Jari et al,

in the last days I have run a few tests with LuaJIT (JIT=Just in
time-compiler) as I am still looking for efficient ways to make my
Perfect Layout plug-in faster. According to their homepage (
http://luajit.org ) their LuaJIT.exe runs Lua code about 3x - 100x
faster than the original Lua52.exe implementation.

In some typical tests that I assume are similar to my JW Lua code and
that usually take about 4-6 hours with Lua52, LuaJIT needed just about
1,5 hours, so about *3-4 times faster *without changing any code.

It's not possible to test it directly in JW Lua as you can't include the
LuaJIT object code in JW Lua, but I guess it would be possible to use it
if JW Lua was updated to be able to use LuaJIT.

Anyone with more experience on that topic?
The only problem I see at the moment:
LuaJIT uses an extended version of Lua 5.1 with many features from 5.2,
but it is not fully compliant with 5.2 - while JW Lua uses 5.2.
So I don't know if it will really work or if there are any JW Lua
features that should be avoided.

Best,