[JW Lua] Unit-testing with jwlua scripts?

Nick Mazuk nick at nickmazuk.com
Tue Sep 14 05:30:13 CEST 2021

Neat stuff about OOP, Thomas! I haven't personally had a need to use OOP with JW Lua (since most things I've needed to do just work best functionally, anyways), but good to know that it's possible.

> I wonder how you come to that conclusion.  JW Lua does not take anything
> away from Lua that would make those not work.  It just adds some
> functions, tables and user data, but that's not a problem.  As long as
> they are implemented in pure Lua and Lua 5.2 compatible.
>

>From my understanding, JW Lua allows you to interact with the PDK framework via Lua. The PDK framework, though, is written in C++. Therefore, if you write something like…

local measure = finale.FCMeasure()

…it will eventually invoke some C++ code. While it is possible outside of JW Lua to have Lua bind to C++ code, JW Lua isn't something you can just import/require. It's added when the plugin itself runs the script. Therefore, JW Lua code run outside of the plugin won't work. I'm also unsure how one might mock/stub PDK values to do true unit/integration testing.

Hopefully that clears up my reasoning. I'll admit, I haven't tried using a Lua testing framework with JW Lua, so perhaps I'm wrong. I'd actually be glad to be wrong about this. If anyone has/does get unit testing working, that's exciting!

Nick