[JW Lua] Different results in RGP Lua/JW Lua with FCStemMod.HorizontalUpOffset

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Fri Aug 19 12:00:26 CEST 2022

Hi Robert et al.,

I noticed an undocumented difference in RGP Lua/JW Lua.

FCStemMod.HorizontalUpOffset returns wrong values in JW Lua (signed byte
problem) and RGP Lua returns the correct values.
It might have be fixed automaticaly because of a fix in the Fin26+ PDK.
We (Robert and I) had talked about FCStemMod issues some time ago and I
wrote that I assume that there must have been some changes as another
FCStemMod problem didn't occur anymore in Fin64bit either.

Test script which works with the attached file:

if finenv.IsRGPLua then require('mobdebug').start() end
local region=finale.FCMusicRegion()
region:SetFullDocument()
for entry in eachentry(region) do
     if entry and entry.StemDetailFlag then
         local stemmod=finale.FCStemMod()
         stemmod:SetNoteEntry(entry)
         if stemmod:LoadFirst() then
            print(stemmod.HorizontalUpOffset)     --probably the same
with HorizontalDownOffset

In Finale 27 JW Lua returns: -125
In Finale 27 RGP Lua returns: -3 (which is correct)

In JW Lua I used this correction function,  but it took quite some time
to find out, it wasn't necessary in RGP Lua anymore.

function jalib_CorrectStemOffsetForJWLua(offset)
     if not finenv.IsRGPLua then
         if offset<0 then
             offset=-offset-128
         elseif offset>128 then
             offset=-(256-offset)
     return offset
end

I don't know if it makes sense to correct this in RGP Lua  - maybe for
compatibility reasons?
But as it is already like it and it actually fixes something, I think we
should keep it and know that this leads to problems only in JW Lua.