[JW Lua] RFC: Adding Methods/Properties to RGP Lua that only exist in certain Finale versions

Robert Patterson robert at robertgpatterson.com
Mon Aug 22 22:03:15 CEST 2022

I will soon be adding to RGP Lua some methods and properties that are not
available before a certain Finale version. Previously when this has
happened, the methods and properties appear in all Finale versions but
return a default value in earlier Finale versions where they aren't
supported. Until now there has always been an appropriate default value.

However, these new methods and properties I plan to add do not have useful
default values in earlier Finale versions. In fact, it would be a bad idea
to return anything at all unless running in an supported Finale version.

To me the best solution would appear to be not to hook up these methods and
properties to Lua if the Finale version doesn't support them. But that
means, in perpetuity, Lua programmers will have to check them for `nil`
before calling them. Does anyone have other/better ideas?