[JW Lua] Finale 27.3, RGP Lua, and Voiced Parts

Robert Patterson robert at robertgpatterson.com
Thu Dec 1 15:10:14 CET 2022

Hello Group,

Finale 27.3 has added Special Tools edits to Voiced Parts, which means that
the Voiced Parts feature is now a usable feature instead of a curiosity.
However, Voiced Parts present a challenge to plugins (including Lua
scripts) in that Finale implements Voiced Parts in the drawing phase. That
means with certain options, the entry data the plugin sees does not match
what is drawn in the part.

It turns out that one can find out if a specific note is visible by
searching the note metrics for it, but the most pathological edge cases can
lead to entire sequences of notes being represented in the part as a single
rest. I don't think that rest can be isolated in an FCNoteEntry instance.

Much as I would like to implement a global fix that requires no changes to
scripts, I don't think that is possible. But I could at least

- add an FCNote::CalcVisibleInCurrentPart method
- change FCNoteEntry::CalcHighest/Lowest methods to take note visibility
into account

But if I do change the calc highest/lowest methods, then they could
potentially return null if there aren't any visible notes. So that's a
potential breaking change.

I would welcome suggestions as to how much of this to build into RGP Lua
and how much to leave to Lua programmers.