[JW Lua] Enharmonic Flip Bit

Robert Patterson robert at robertgpatterson.com
Wed Mar 1 17:37:54 CET 2023

The short answer is that the 0x04 bit by itself does not do much. You also
have to transpose the note by Finale's "default enharmonic flip" amount. I
have worked out how to enharmonic flip and have it unlink. It requires the
following steps (with the part in edit focus):

   - Set the 0x04 bit and save the FCNoteheadMod.
   - Transpose the FCNote enharmonically by Finale's default enharmonic
   flip. (Any other transposition remains linked to the score.) I have added a
   function to do this to the transposition library in the Lua-scripts repo,
   but it isn't merged yet. There's a lot of non-trivial support code already
   written in the transposition library, which is why I haven't added a
   function to the PDK Framework. (It would be a ballooning project.)
   - (Optional but recommended) rebuild metrics (outside eachentrysaved
   loop) and set entry.StemUp = entry:CalcStemUp().

To relink (with the part in edit focus):

   - Reset the 0x04 bit and then delete the FCNoteheadMod (but save the
   reference to it).
   - Call the new (in 0.66) function note:MatchSpellingToScore(). You could
   write your own version of it in Lua, but this seemed like a useful function
   to add to the PDK Framework and easy to add.
   - Put the score in edit focus and resave (as new) the FCNoteheadMod.
   - Rebuild metrics as before and adjust the stem bits.

There could be an improvement to this to check if there are no other mods
in the FCNoteheadMod and skip re-saving it, but this is safe and easy. I
have a longer-term goal to add __FCBaseData::Relink to the framework, which
you could use instead, but it won't be in 0.66.

Here is the code I'm using (requires RGP Lua 0.66):

local transpose = require('library.transposition')

for entry in eachentrysaved(finenv.Region()) do
    for note in each(entry) do
        local note_mod = finale.FCNoteheadMod()
        note_mod:SetNoteEntry(entry)
        note_mod:LoadAt(note)
        note_mod.EnharmonicFlip = not note_mod.EnharmonicFlip
        if note_mod.EnharmonicFlip then
            note_mod:SaveAt(note)
            transpose.enharmonic_transpose_default(note)
        else
            note_mod:DeleteData()
            note:MatchSpellingToScore()
            local score = finale.FCPart(finale.PARTID_SCORE)
            score:SwitchTo()
            note_mod:SaveAt(note)
            score:SwitchBack()

finale.FCEntryMetrics.MarkMetricsForRebuild()
for entry in eachentrysaved(finenv.Region()) do
    entry.StemUp = entry:CalcStemUp()
end