[JWplugins] Creating parts: spread notes over "x" pages

Lado Derjosz derjosz at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 12 18:03:48 CEST 2013

Hey You Guys,

I suggested this to Finale Support.

Jari, if you developed this already, I missed it.

Regards,
Jos

Jos,

I appreciate your explanation of the intended feature more and regarding what you originally intended for it. I am more confident now that I know what you intended for spreading the notes across the pages and will send the request forward to the Finale team.

You are able to influence number of systems to pages, but unfortunately not number of notes to a system. We actually do work with composers to get feedback regarding features and the Finale team does meet on every request that comes in regarding the program. We want to make sure that the program is stronger and versatile for our users and use the feature requests to get as close as we can.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Chester Y.
MakeMusic Customer Support

 Customer By Email (Jos Smeets)06/07/2013 03:44 AMHi Chester,

 Thanx for everything so far (for taking this seriously any way).

You Wrote:
The feature would potentially take the part that you have edited, maintain the settings that you have applied, and then stretch everything to x pages? Thus the user would have to depend that the program would lock everything while expanding or contracting to the amount of pages you are requesting the part to be correct?
Well, the thing is on what basis does Update Layout work now?
 You are not able to influence (set) the number of pages or the maximum number of notes on one system now, can you?

 You would probably have to remove locks first (Unlock Systems), because if the feature works well, you would not be needing them anyway, would you?
 It might work by preferences like:
mamimum notes per system, maximum pages per part, auto adjust percentage of notes  (user adjustable: e.g. between 70 - 80 %) etc.
 Maybe even in hierarchical order (user adjustable: 1. pages per part; 2. maximum number of notes on system; 3. auto adjust percentage of notes etc).
 You can then, by applying these options choose which one is more suitable for most parts.

You see: some parts are very "full".
 Like stringplayers: they almost play all of the time, so they have a lot of notes to play and these notes should be "well-proportioned" over the sheet to make reading easy.
 Whereas trumpet players sometimes only have a few notes in a piece. In this case Finale might
"pop up" and suggest: "This part can be set to "y" pages" (= not as many as x) based on "maximum notes per system".
 On the other hand, Finale might indicate (pop up) that "x" pages do not suffice in a specific case(part), because there would be too many notes on system "c". "Would you like to go on any way or add one/two/three page(s)?"

 Am I making things clearer now? Or have I just complicated things?
 I hope you get the picture. There might of course even be more parameters to concern.
 Working with a composer using Finale on a daily basis should give you all the input you need.

 When described this way it sounds like a feature that may take some work in order to maintain the user's layout while stretching, but would be very beneficial if done correctly.
It would be great if you would only have to hit "print" (that will probably never happen in my lifetime), but having some overall options as described above would make life substantially easier in my opinion (--:

Feel free to respond again.

Kind Regards,
Jos