[JWplugins] Top 25 percussion notes?

Christopher Smith christopher.smith at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 4 15:53:02 CET 2014

Hi Jari,

Will these notes play back correctly? Because you might need all the usual variants of hihat as well (strike closed, strike open, strike half-open, close with the foot).

Snare drum would need ordinary, rimshot, cross-stick, brushes strike and brushes stir (and I'm not even getting into the weird techniques!)

Crash cymbal might need LV and choke varieties (I don't know what you are doing with this, so I mention it). Some drummers have two crashes that need different positions on the staff to differentiate them, or a splash and a china as well.

I got used to Finale's three mounted toms (high, mid, low) and two floor toms (high and low) because I sometimes write for drummers who use that many toms.

For ride cymbal there are normal and "on the bell" variants that might need a different notehead.

I often need cowbell, tambourine, mark tree (wind chimes), castanets, cabasa, vibraslap, triangle (open and muted), shaker, several conga variants and several bongo variants. And this is just for my drum kit writing!

Good luck, and keep us in the loop!

Christopher