[JW Lua] FCPageTexts - Retrieve Item at a specific index

Finale at web.yosound.com Finale at web.yosound.com
Fri Nov 28 22:03:01 CET 2014

Hi Jari,

I am trying to iterate through all of the Page Text items in order to either
update them or add them if they are missing in a document. This is in order
to give a standard look to all the charts I write for my big band. I think
what I should be using is GetItemAt, but am stuck trying to implement it.

My process is to first iterate through all of them and modify a table with a
flag to indicate that it exists by inserting an ID. I thought that ItemCmper
and ItemInci were what I should use, but was wondering if there is an easier
way. Here is the code I'm using to modify existing entries:

-- Table of Page Text links.

-- Each record consists of:

-- [1] - Textinsert Start

-- [2] - First Page

-- [3] - Record ID, -1 for missing

-- [4] - Subrecord ID

-- [5] - LineSpacingIsPercent

-- The index values are included only to reduce the risk of errors.

local PageTextLinks =

{

    [2] = {"^title()",1,-1,-1,true},

    [3] = {"^subtitle()",1,-1,-1,true},

    [4] = {"^partname()",1,-1,-1,true},

    [5] = {"^composer()",1,-1,-1,false},

    [6] = {"^lyricist()",1,-1,-1,true},

    [7] = {"^arranger()",1,-1,-1,true},

    [8] = {"^copyright()",1,-1,-1},false,

    [9] = {"^title()",2,-1,-1,true},

    [10] = {"^partname()",2,-1,-1,true},

    [11] = {"^page(0)",2,-1,-1,true},

    [12] = {"^partname()",2,-1,-1,true},

    [13] = {"^title()",2,-1,-1,true},

}

       -- Set the line spacing

       pagetexts = finale.FCPageTexts()

       pagetexts:LoadAll()

       pagetext = pagetexts:GetItemAt(PageTextLinks[idx][4] + 2 *
PageTextLinks[idx][3], PageTextLinks[idx][3])

       local TextString = pagetext:CreateTextString()

       FontInfo = TextString:CreateLastFontInfo()

       local TextBlock = pagetext:CreateTextBlock()

       print (TextString.LuaString)

       if not PageTextLinks[idx][5] then

           print (" Change Line Spacing", not PageTextLinks[idx][5],
"Index", idx)

           TextBlock.LineSpacingIsPercent = false

           TextBlock.LineSpacing = FontInfo.Size * 4

           TextBlock:Save()

       end

       -- Modify the PageText

       TextString.LuaString = k

       print("Existing Item", TextString.LuaString)

       pagetext:SaveNewTextBlock(TextString)

       set_data(pagetext, v)

       pagetext:Save()

The first issue is that I can't start at Index 1 because it gives me an
indexing error. I'm probably referencing the table incorrectly but don't
know the right syntax apparently. I was unable to get any help from the Lua
documentation on this. What am I doing wrong?

The second issue is when I then start adding new items, that the indices
seem to change, so they get added using the wrong information because the
indexes have shifted.

Here's the code for that part:

               -- New

               if PageTextLinks[idx][3] == -1 then

                  local new_item = finale.FCPageText()

                  local str = new_item:CreateTextString()

                  str.LuaString = k

                  print("New Item", str.LuaString)

                  new_item:SaveNewTextBlock(str)

                  set_data(new_item, v)

                    new_item:SaveNew(1)

So that now the pairs iteration seems to get lost and only some of the
missing items get added. What am I doing wrong?

Here is the whole code block for the final pass:

local idx = 2

for k, v in pairs(PageTextData) do

               -- New

               if PageTextLinks[idx][3] == -1 then

                  local new_item = finale.FCPageText()

                  local str = new_item:CreateTextString()

                  str.LuaString = k

                  print("New Item", str.LuaString)

                  new_item:SaveNewTextBlock(str)

                  set_data(new_item, v)

                    new_item:SaveNew(1)

   -- Existing

     else

[...]

--   pagetexts:SaveAll()

   idx = idx + 1

end

Thanks so much for any light you can shed on the error in my ways.

Bruce

--

Olson Sound Design, LLC

Bruce C. Olson

8717 Humboldt Avenue North

Brooklyn Park, MN  55444-1320

+1 (763) 493-5835 Office

+1 (763) 300-3893 Cell

Web Page:        http://www.OlsonSound.com

Business:         mailto:BCOlson at OlsonSound.com

Big Band:          http://www.BRBB.org