[JW Lua] 2 music character questions

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Sun Apr 5 12:43:38 CEST 2015

Jari,

> * Is it possible to change the character for the default measure rest
> in Finale, so it does anything visually to the score? I can change the
> setting in Finale, but the change doesn't do anything visually to the
> document.
Yes, it's possible, but the usage is limited. You can only select "other
rest characters" (i.e. quarter rests, eighth rests) and they will be
displayed as the default measure rest. But if you select a "non-rest
character", it will automatically change to the default whole rest
character.
So it's not possible to define a "default measure rest only" character
(see also
http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/Finale2014Win/Finale.htm#cshid=6089
).
Workaround:
If you want to show a "Default Measure Rest" character that is different
from the other rest symbols used in the score, make sure you define it
as a rest character that is not used in the score (for example 128th
rest or double whole rest).

> * Is there a setting for "longa" rests in Finale? In Maestro, it's the
> 221 slot. (I can't find any user interface for that type of rest, but
> there's a document value for it.)
I think there isn't. If you search the MM forums for longa rests, you
only find workarounds for using longa rests/notes in Finale.