[JW Lua] Automatic float to integer conversion doesn't work anymore (starting in v.40/v.42)

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Tue Nov 10 11:08:32 CET 2015

Jari,

I am trying to make my scripts compatible with v.40/v.42 and get lots of
bad argument errors as Charles described some days ago ("Strange Error
Message"-thread), although with different descriptions, for example:
bad argument #2 to '?' (number has no integer representation)
And in my case*these errors have not occured when running the scripts in
previous versions of JW Lua.*

For example:
(a is an FCArticulationDef)
a.MainHandleVerticalOffset=a.MainHandleVerticalOffset+vertoffset
It used to work fine for any vertoffset value, even with vertoffset
being a float type.
Now it throws the error message above WITHOUT the code line and requires
an explicit integer conversion to work:
a.MainHandleVerticalOffset=a.MainHandleVerticalOffset+math.floor(vertoffset)

Although the error message is technically correct (a float is not an
integer), the automatic type conversion used to work fine.
That will be probably be days of work to fix in more than 30.000 lines
of code if you have to track down every error without a debugger.

What's the reason for the new error message ? Is it a stricter parser or
Lua 5.3 or anything else ?
Do you see any chance of solving that without having to rewrite all the
code.
Or at least add the code line when a "Bad Argument" error is thrown ?

All the best,
Jan