[JW Lua] Changing playback speed

Pat Rice Mr.Pat at pdreditions.com
Fri Sep 21 03:45:27 CEST 2018

With the advent of Finale 25 the Tempo Tool has been deprecated. All
capabilities of that tool have been incorporated into other tools EXCEPT FOR
ONE and I'm looking for a way to program that with JWLua. My problem is that
I don't know much about MIDI and how tempi are implemented in Finale. The
feature that is no longer available has to so with increasing or decreasing
a tempo by a certain percentage over a span of measures. The new midi tool
allows you to set a % change, but doing so overrides the playback tool. It
only works with fixed expressions. What I want is to be able to vary the
starting playback tempo using the number in the playback tool and have that
tempo increase or decrease at a given point by a given percentage. An
example of where this applies is in Renaissance music where the tactus
changes from duple to triple in a sesquialtera or triple relationship, 3/2
or 3/1, +200% or +300%. Is this even possible with JWLua and if so, where do
I start looking?

Pat