[JW Lua] Help Adding Articulation

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Sat Sep 29 20:21:57 CEST 2018

 >I'm amazed you've been able to do your elaborate plug-ins with such a
lack of information.
Unfortunately I couldn't test the code before I sent you the correction.
At first sight I only noticed the SaveNew() missing.
But indeed I have never added an articulation before, I have only used
"articulation clone" ("AddArticulations") in my plug-ins and this only
to already existing notes.
And I think I have not even used FCNoteEntryCell:AppendEntriesInLayer
before, I have always used FCNoteEntryLayer:InsertEntriesAfter.
I remember having problems with AppendEntriesInLayer which I didn't have
with InsertEntriesAfter. Maybe it was the reload? I don't know.

Your original script was nearly ok (I mean the one that you sent me via
PM, it was different than the one on the list).
It only needed the SaveNew() and, as Chris pointed out, the reload.

Here is your corrected original script - slightly differen than Chris'
which is more optimized.
For example entry.ArticulationFlag=true is not necessary (but indeed
faster) if you use notecell:Save() as you did in your script.

function plugindef()
    -- This function and the 'finaleplugin' namespace
    -- are both reserved for the plug-in definition.
    return "Fermatas", "", ""
end
local fermatadef = finale.FCArticulationDef()
local metatools = finale.FCMetatoolAssignments()
metatools:SetMode(2)
metatools:LoadAll()
for metatool in each(metatools) do
    if metatool.Keystroke == 70 then
       fermatadef:Load(metatool:GetDefID())
       break

for m, s in eachcell(finenv.Region()) do
    local cell = finale.FCCell(m, s)
    notecell = finale.FCNoteEntryCell(m, s)
    notecell:Load()
    if notecell:IsEmpty() then
       entry = notecell:AppendEntriesInLayer(1, 1)
       if entry then
          entry.Duration = finale.WHOLE_NOTE
          entry.Legality = true
          entry:MakeRest()

           notecell:Save()  --this line added
           local index = notecell:GetIndexOf(entry)  --this line added
           notecell:Load()  --this line added
           entry = notecell:GetItemAt(index)  --this line added

          local fermata = finale.FCArticulation()
          fermata:SetArticulationDef(fermatadef)
          fermata:SetNoteEntry(entry)
          fermata:SaveNew()    --this line changed
          notecell:Save()