[JW Lua] Note Shapes

Martin Marris mmarris at notecraft.com
Tue Dec 22 08:07:35 CET 2020

For a staff, you can find out if "ShowNoteShapes" is true or false. But if
it is true, how can JW Lua access the notehead settings (Staff Tool / Edit
Staff Attributes / Use Note Shapes / Settings)?

Long story, but I am working on a batch of at least 600 Finale files that
are very old. For the percussion, they do not use percussion maps and the
staves are not defined as percussion staves. They have Note Shapes set to
true in the Staff Attributes. The shape information gets lost when the file
is exported via XML then imported elsewhere. Worse, the Use Note Shapes
settings (the notehead mappings) are different from one file to another, so
I cannot just override the existing info for all the files with a single
standardized mapping of my own.

One clean way to deal with this would be to retrieve the Note Shape
settings, then set Use Note Shapes to false, and then use NoteMods to set
the noteheads to match what was displayed when Use Note Shapes was true. In
fact I have been doing this "by hand" (with the help of some shipping
plugins including the JW ones) but it is a big waste of time.

If it could be done programmatically it would be so much better.

Martin