[JW Lua] Document Blank in Scroll View

Martin Marris mmarris at notecraft.com
Thu Dec 31 07:34:21 CET 2020

After processing with my large JW Lua scripts, some (but not all) of my
Finale files are now blank in Scroll View. The Staff Set is set to "all
staves." I cannot define a new staff set because the screen is blank, so
there is no way to select staves. If I select the Staff Tool in Scroll View,
and then hit Ctrl-A for Select All (in an attempt to define a new Staff
Set), Finale crashes.

Page view is fine.

Normally this would worry me a lot, but these processed Finale files are not
destined for usage as-is, and they have no "future" as archive files. They
are immediately exported via XML to another application, after which they
might as well be discarded. That exporting process is still working
perfectly, therefore the apparent corruption of Scroll View is essentially
irrelevant as far as this project is concerned.

I am however curious as to what caused this. It has to be something in my JW
Lua code, because the raw (incoming) Finale files work fine in both Page
View and Scroll View, prior to Lua processing. IIRC my code does adjust the
order of the displayed staves, but I remember making sure that System Staff
0 (zero) i.e. Scroll View was included in the re-ordering. Plus, it is only
happening on some files, not all of them.

Martin