[JW Lua] Regression testing the Lua language

Robert Patterson robert at robertgpatterson.com
Mon Mar 13 13:16:55 CET 2023

Some of you may be aware that Jari started a set of automated regression
tests for Finale on Lua. I have been expanding on them and the repository
is now here <https://github.com/finale-lua/lua-testtoolkit>. Recently I
added an "internal" section for testing the `utf8` library, and I would
like to add some other language tests as well.

In particular, I would like to detect changes in the Lua language itself
with an idea towards upgrading RGP Lua to Lua 5.4. The biggest show stopper
I am aware of is the number-to-integer conversion problem. Out of the box,
Lua throws a runtime error if you assign a fractional value to an integer.
I will be researching to see if there is a way to compile Lua to eliminate
this problem.

What other roadblocks to Lua 5.4 do we know of? I will incorporate those
into the test as well.

Even if we never transition past Lua 5.2, it will be useful to have
documented all the reasons for it in the regression test.