[JW Lua] Experimental Lua 5.4 version of RGP Lua 0.67b1

Robert Patterson robert at robertgpatterson.com
Tue Mar 14 22:42:27 CET 2023

As part of a long-term goal of upgrading Lua on Finale to the latest
iteration of the Lua language, I have posted an experimental version of RGP
Lua to the download site
<https://robertgpatterson.com/-fininfo/-rgplua/rgplua.html> that embeds Lua
5.4.4. This version attempts to be non-breaking in the following ways:

   - It includes an embedded bit32 library implemented with Lua 5.4 bitwise
   operators.
   - Fraction-to-integer conversions truncate (like Lua 5.2) instead of
   throwing runtime errors. (Fixing this turned out to be a simple compiler
   option in the Lua source code.)
   - It maintains clib support, but any clibs you use will have to be
   rebuilt with Lua 5.4. For luaosutils, it is probably easiest to use the
   embedded version.

I am not going to be converting the official RGP Lua to 5.4 in the near
future, but I would like to find out any other issues that people see with
it. The goal is that it should be completely backwards compatible with the
existing Lua source code base.

The experimental version also includes a few 0.67 bug fixes, such as
returning correct return values from ExecuteLuaScriptItem.