[JW Lua] Set staff to chromatic transposition

Aaron Sherber aaron at sherber.com
Thu Mar 30 16:07:36 CEST 2023

I also don't fully understand why, for example, TransposeInterval changes
when TransposeChromatic gets set -- *before* calling staff:Save(). Isn't
this just manipulating properties on an in-memory object at this point? And
there shouldn't be any interaction with Finale until the object is saved?
So is something funky going on with the PDK Framework class?

Thanks,
Aaron.

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 9:56 AM Aaron Sherber <aaron at sherber.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, Hide Key Signature and keyless scores don't do what I want
> -- they both assume an underlying key. (So, for example, any Cs and Fs I
> enter in a Bb clarinet part automatically become sharped.) It seems that
> only chromatic transposition lets me enter what I see on the page with no
> alterations. I can't understand why Finale implemented keyless scores this
> way; Sibelius got it right.
>
> I did diff the Enigma dumps to see what was going on; it wasn't
> immediately clear to me what the differences represent, but I'll take
> another look. In any case, this isn't hugely important -- just would be a
> nice time saver to have a script to change all key sig transposed staves to
> chromatic.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron.
>

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 9:44 AM Robert Patterson <
> robert at robertgpatterson.com> wrote:
>
>> I can't recall ever having figured this out. I would encourage you not to
>> use Chromatic Transposition and instead to use Hide Key Signature and Show
>> Accidentals instead. Chromatic Transposition is a legacy feature.
>>
>> That said, if you are determined to figure it out, you can use my Enigma
>> Text Dump
>> <https://robertgpatterson.com/-fininfo/-downloads/download-free.html>
>> plugin with a text comparison tool as follows:
>>
>>    1. Create a small file containing only the value you want to change.
>>    2. Run the Text Dump plugin and save to somewhere easy: i usually
>>    save to my Desktop folder (mac) as 1.txt.
>>    3. Make the change in Finale that you are interested in.
>>    4. Run the Text Dump plugin and save to 2.txt.
>>    5. Compare the results with your text tool.
>>
>> This shows you the scope of changes you need to make to accomplish your
>> task.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 7:58 AM Aaron Sherber <aaron at sherber.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if anyone knows the secret sauce for changing a
>>> transposing staff from key signature transposition to chromatic
>>> transposition.
>>>
>>> If I take a staff with key sig transposition and set TransposeChromatic
>>> to true, then odd things happen to other values. For example, a Bb clarinet
>>> staff with key sig has interval=1, alter=2. Once I set TransposeChromatic,
>>> those numbers immediately change to interval=67, alter=0. And it turns out
>>> that the values I actually want in order to get things to look right are
>>> interval=2, alter=0. Horn in F starts with interval=4, alter=1 and goes to
>>> interval=2, alter=1 after setting TransposeChromatic. And if I try setting
>>> alter=0, it becomes -1.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something here?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Aaron.