[JW Lua] Finale crashes on Japanese fonts with FCFileInfoText:LoadComposer() ... revisited

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Sun Sep 24 12:12:38 CEST 2023

Robert,

I don't know if you have looked into this issue from May 2020.
But I now had a client from Germany that ran into the same issue using
German umlauts which I had always expected to be harmless.

In Finale 27.3/macOS he used the following title in the "File Info"
subtitle field:
D´Mäerchen vum Liefkuchmeedchen

Instead of the standard ä umlaut, it uses a unicode combination of an
"a" followed by a ¨ which seems to lead to a memory problem which later
on leads to a crash:
D´Ma¨erchen vum Liefkuchmeedchen

The crash is reproduceable.
But: it occurs at anytime later during the plug-in processing. There is
no specific line that leads to the crash.
Sometimes the plug-in even finishes processing and crashes when it gives
back the focus to Finale.
At least on macOS - on Windows the subtitle line didn't cause any problem.

As mentioned below, the crash can only be prevented by not calling this:
     local fileinfo=finale.FCFileInfoText()
     fileinfo:LoadSubtitle()
     local text=fileinfo:CreateString()

or by removing the a¨ from the subtitle and replacing it with a standard
(one symbol) ä.

While I assumed in the email from 2020 below that a multiple of a 0x0100
symbol lead to the crash (which was the reason for a lot of crashes in
the music font comparison), this crash occured with the unicode symbol
0x0308 ("Combining Diaeresis").

The problem is that I cannot detect this problem automatically.
Because I need to have a look at the created string - but this is
already leads to the crash.
To solve this in 2020 I added an option to Perfect Layout that generally
ignores all FCFileInfoTexts.
But it's very difficult to tell for a user (and even for me as a support
person) that this was actually the problem.

Do you know if there is something specific in the FCFileInfoText()
implementation that can lead to this unicode problem?

Jan

--
Jan Angermüller
Orchideenstieg 13