[JWplugins] JWplugins Digest, Vol 5, Issue 1

Michel HERR michel.herr at skynet.be
Tue Feb 5 12:30:57 CET 2013

Le 5 févr. 2013 à 12:00, jwplugins-request at jwmusic.nu a écrit :

>> Many Finale users face a regular problem with the left tie sometimes needed for the first note of the first measure of the coda.
>> As we know, it cannot be created with the usual keyboard shortcuts, and the workarounds (a.o. temporary repeats) are tedious and unsatisfactory.
>>
>> In your great plug-in JW Change, there is a possibility to add a right tie (Noteheads -> Tie).
>> It could be great if you could implement a way to add a reliable left tie as well, which would at last function in any situation.
>
> I'll write it up for JW Change. However, I would need a technical
> approach that the plug-in should use for left ties. What's your
> preferred approach for left ties?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jari Williamsson

What would be ideal is to be able, in the Selection Tool, to select a first note (it can be a chord) of a second ending or a coda, and apply the plug-in.
It would create left tie(s) on the selected note(s). In any context, 2nd ending or coda.
Or have the plug-in in the Speedy, Simple Tools.
Like in Speedy, position the cursor on a note (or above a chord if one needs ties for the whole chord), and apply the plug-in to that note/chord.
Whatever is technically feasable.
Speedy/simple has the advantage of staying in the current tool while one is entering notes.
But Selection Tool is of course more global and makes sense, as many operations in the menus (tie direction, stem direction) are available while in the Selection Tool.
And plug-ins function on a selection. Thus I would probably prefer Selection Tool.
I don't know if this was the kind of answer you were expecting.

Thank you

Michel HERR
michel.herr at skynet.be
http://www.michelherr.com