[JW Lua] Progress bar doesn't update / Finale screen doesn't update on long scripts

Jan Angermüller jan at angermueller.com
Thu Jul 27 11:57:29 CEST 2017

Jari,

when running long scripts, Finale (or Windows?) sometimes freezes the
screen update.

If you look at this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ugMNTzJAPg
), you see that Finale's screen update freezes after about 15 seconds
although it internally still changes part scopes and views regularly.
Finale is still working fine in the background until it finishes (in the
video at 25 seconds) and finally refreshes the screen.

Do you know of the cause? Is this a general Finale or OS
multi-thread/multi-tasking problem when running long scripts/functions?
I know that things like this used to happen in other software as well -
but this was years ago in Windows XP. All software I use nowadays
regularly updates the screen during processing.
Would adding another refresh, repaint, update, etc. function to the
progress bar solve the problem? Its value actually updates during the
freeze, but it's not visible.

Best,