[JWplugins] Chord Manager

Christopher Smith christopher.smith at videotron.ca
Mon Dec 3 16:24:50 CET 2012

Hi Jari,

In the JW Chord Manager, when I select a partial measure to invoke Add Octave, I get an error message saying that it will apply to the entire measure. However, it adds the octave correctly to only the selected passage. In other words, it's an unnecessary error message. The same thing applies to Drop 2nd and all the drop commands that I tried.

Is there a reason why the Drop commands won't apply to chords that are not 4-note chords? While this is indeed a useful function, I often have to spread chords in 5 or 3 part densities, and have to do it manually. This gets particularly bothersome when I have mixed 4 and 5 part chords, or 3 and 4 part chords in the same section, since I have to go back and analyse the passage after the plugin is applied before I manually edit it. If this was a true Drop 2 and 4 (dropping the second and fourth lines counting from the melody note, rather than the second and bottom) this would be very useful indeed.

Another function that would be very useful in this plugin is to Add Octave Double of the melody. To add an octave up is already there (Transpose Octave), but often in block writing we need the melody note doubled an octave lower.

Maybe this is the way the windows are supposed to work, but after certain Finale operations when a JW plugin window is open, the JW window becomes active by itself, requiring me to click on the score in order to continue editing. I could close the JW window, but it is more bother to go back into the menu and open it again if I am using it regularly.

Thanks again for the fine work.

Christopher