[JWplugins] Chord Manager

Jari Williamsson jari.williamsson at mailbox.swipnet.se
Mon Dec 3 16:53:48 CET 2012

On 2012-12-03 16:24, Christopher Smith wrote:

> In the JW Chord Manager, when I select a partial measure to invoke Add
> Octave, I get an error message saying that it will apply to the entire
> measure. However, it adds the octave correctly to only the selected
 > passage. In other words, it's an unnecessary error message. The
same thing applies to Drop 2nd and all the drop commands that I tried.

This is a message from Finale when I call Finale to respace the partial
measure. I agree that's annoying, I need to fix that.

> Is there a reason why the Drop commands won't apply to chords that
> are not 4-note chords? While this is indeed a useful function, I
> often have to spread chords in 5 or 3 part densities, and have to
> do it manually. This gets particularly bothersome when I have mixed
> 4 and 5 part chords, or 3 and 4 part chords in the same section, since
> I have to go back and analyse the passage after the plugin is applied
> before I manually edit it. If this was a true Drop 2 and 4 (dropping
> the second and fourth lines counting from the melody note, rather than
> the second and bottom) this would be very useful indeed.

I agree, should drop 2 work even on 2-note intervals?

I'll probably add the apply-only-to-4-note-chords as an option, if there
are users who uses the current behaviour as a feature.

> Another function that would be very useful in this plugin is to
> Add Octave Double of the melody. To add an octave up is already
> there (Transpose Octave), but often in block writing we need the
> melody note doubled an octave lower.

Ok, the reverse direction of the current "Add Octave"?

> Maybe this is the way the windows are supposed to work, but
> after certain Finale operations when a JW plugin window is
> open, the JW window becomes active by itself, requiring me to
> click on the score in order to continue editing. I could close
> the JW window, but it is more bother to go back into the menu
> and open it again if I am using it regularly.

I guess this happens when some modal Finale dialog closes and returns
the focus to Finale and selects a plug-in window instead. If you find
reproducible steps, please report to MM.