[JWplugins] Numbered measures - sample styles

Jari Williamsson jari.williamsson at mailbox.swipnet.se
Thu Apr 18 19:18:11 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-18 17:30, Howard Begun wrote:

> I did have a little trouble figuring out how to get every 4th bar numbered.
> It seemed that no matter what I tried, I'd end up with "5,9,13,17..."
> instead of "4,8,12,16...". After a while I finally looked at the "Number on
> skips" setting. I had no idea what that referred to so I didn't pay it any
> attention until I exhausted all the other options. Setting it to "Last in
> group" did the trick so I'm good to go. I'm still not sure what the purpose
> of this setting is, however.

If you tell it to skip every 4th measure, you group the material into
1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc. "Last in group" would use 4, 8, 12, etc. "First in
group" would use 1, 5, 9, etc.

Perhaps I should default to "Last in group" for newly created profiles?

> I'm also curious as to why you chose the word "element" instead of
> "measure" for the interval settings.

The numbering styles will control more than just numbering single
measures. For example: if you (in later versions of the plug-in) use the
numbering style for 2-measure repeats, each "element" will be 2 measures
long. There will be some support to number elements that appear at
irregular intervals as well.

> When a sequence is restarted due to a double barline, rehearsal mark, etc.,
> I'd like it if the last bar before the restart is always numbered (in case
> it doesn't fit the interval pattern). This could either be part of the
> "Always at end of region" setting or it could be a separate option.

Yes, that's a known bug. The current plan is to include that
functionality in the already-available option.

> Finally, would it be possible to have the current profile preselected when
> entering the profile editor? In trying out different settings, I kept
> editing the default profile by mistake because that's the one that comes up
> (being at the top of the list). Or maybe you could add move up/down buttons
> so that the list could be sorted manually.

The current behavior shouldn't happen and I've now logged it as a bug.
This version was rushed out a bit too soon, hopefully the quirks will be
gone in the next version.